Lesson 22 If you keep plucking them,you'll end up with no eye-brows left.如果继续拔,你的眉毛就所剩无几了。
Part 1 Real Life Situation
使用场景
Your girlfriend shapes her eyebrows by pulling out some of the hairs.You think she does it too much,because her eyebrows are really thin.You say this when you see her doing it.
你的女朋友通过拔眉毛来修眉,而你认为她拔得太多了,因为她的眉毛非常稀,你可以这样对她说。
If you keep plucking them,you'll end up with no eyebrows left.
如果继续拔,你的眉毛就所剩无几了。
Part 2 Pronunciation and intonation
发音讲解
So,in the sentence,pay attention to the pro-nunciation of these parts.
在这一句中,注意以下部分的发音。
1."If you" and "end up" are blended.
2.The/p/in "keep" is not pronounced.
1.“if you” 和 “end up” 连读。
2.“keep” 中的/p/不发音。
3."You'll"/juːl/ends with/l/,so be sure to say it differently than "you".
3.“you'll”/juːl/以/l/结尾,确保发音跟 “you” 不同。
4."Them" is reduced to "em",so say it like plucking'em/ˈplʌkiŋəm/.
4.“them” 弱读为 “em”,读起来像plucking'em/ˈplʌkiŋəm/。
5.The/ð/in "with" is not pronounced.
5.“with” 中的/ð/不发音。
Now,let's focus on tone and intonation.
1.These words are stressed:"keep" "no" and"left".
现在,我们重点看看语气和语调。
1.重读 “keep” “no” “left”。
2.Say it with an impatient and concerned tone,because you're talking about the negative conse-quence of what she's doing.
2.以不安或关心的语气来说这个句子,因为你们谈论的是她的行为的负面后果。
Now,practice,and you will learn to say this sentence like a native speaker.
现在,多加练习,你就能学会像英语母语者一样说这句话了。
Part 3 My explanation
英文讲解
The first expression we will learn is 我们要学习的第1个表达是
keep ( doing something)保持 (做某事)
This means to continue doing something,a-gain and again.For example:
这个表达意味着一次又一次地做某事。例如:
I keep making the same mistake over and over.我一遍又一遍地犯同样的错误。
"Keep+doing" is used in normal spoken Eng-lish,and can also be used in writing.But if you're writing a formal essay or speech,a better choice is"continue+doing".
“Keep+doing” 既可以用于日常英语口语,也可用于书面形式。但如果你写的是正式的文章或演讲稿,最好用 “continue+doing”。
The second expression we will learn is 我们要学习的第2个表达是
pluck ( out) ( hairs)拔 (出) (毛发)
"Plucking" part of your body means pulling hairs out of it,one by one,usually with tweezers.You can use the word "pluck" to talk about either the object,or the hair itself.
“plucking” (拔) 身体的某一部分,一个一个拔,通常指的是用镊子等工具来拔除体毛。在谈论具体某物或毛发本身时可以使用 “pluck” 一词。
Do you pluck your eyebrows?你会拔眉毛吗?
Sometimes people say "pluck out" to talk about the individual hairs (but not the whole object).
有时人们用 “拔出” 来说明拨出的具体的某根毛发 (但不是整体)。
I saw a gray hair,so I plucked it out.(我看见一根白发,所以把它拔出来了。)
Aside from body hair,things that people"pluck" include:
除了身体的毛发,可以 “拔”的东西包括:
● a chicken拔鸡毛
● fruit (from a tree or bush) 拔长在树上或灌木丛里的果实毛
● the strings of an instrument拔乐器的弦
The third expression we will learn is 我们要学习的第3个表达是
end up with ( something or nothing)以某事/某物为结束
This expression describes what eventually happens at the end of a process.
该表达描述了在某件事结束的时候发生的事情。
If you keep drinking and smoking,you're going to end up with all kinds of health problems.
如果你继续喝酒和吸烟,你的身体可能会出现各种各样的健康问题。
You can use it for either positive or negative results:
可以用于积极/消极结果:
We ended up with over twenty thousand dollars in sales.
最终,我们的销售额达两万多美元。
Bugs got to the squash last summer and we ended up with nothing left.
去年夏天,南瓜田遭遇了病虫害,我们一无所获。
This last example has "left" at the end."no…left" and "nothing left" are commonly used in this phrase.
上一个例子最后用到了 “left”,同类短语 “no…left” 和 “nothing left” 也常使用。