Lesson 9 I was in stitches the whole show!这场演出让我都笑破肚皮了。
Part 1 Real Life Situation
使用场景
You went to see a play,and it was really fun-ny.You're recommending the play to a friend,and you describe how funny it was:
你去看了一场非常有趣的演出,你向朋友推荐它,并向他描述这个演出有多有趣:
I was in stitches the whole show.整场演出我都笑破肚皮了。
Part 2 Pronunciation and intonation
发音讲解
So,in the sentence,pay attention to the pro-nunciation of these parts.
在这一句中,注意以下部分的发音:
1.Link"was in".To do it properly,you need to weaken "in",make it sound like/n/.
1.“was in” 连读,要正确发音,必须弱读 “in”,让它的发音听起来像/n/。
2.Stitches/ˈstitʃiz/ends with/tʃiz/,so be careful not to mispronounce/tʃ/.
2.stitches/ˈstitʃiz/的发音以/tʃiz/结尾,注意不要错发成/tʃ/。
3."Whole" ends with/l/,so it's the same as"hole" and different than "hoe".
3.“whole” 发音以/l/结尾,跟“hole” 的发音一样,跟 “hoe” 不同。
Now,let's focus on tone and intonation.
Stress "stitches" and "whole".Also laugh a little when you say it,so it sounds convincing.
So,now you know how to say this sentence like a native speaker.
现在,我们重点看看语气和语调重读。重读 “stitches” 和 “whole”,另外笑着说出来,听起来会比较有说服力。现在,你知道怎么像英语母语人士一样说这句话了。
Part 3 My explanation
英文讲解
The first expression we will learn is 我们要学习的第1个表达是
( someone) is in stitches(某人) 笑破肚皮
When someone is "in stitches" it means that they are laughing a lot,and can't stop laughing.
当某人 “in stitches” 时,表示他们笑得很厉害,根本停不下来。
A:How was the comedy show?(那场喜剧表演怎么样?)
B:Oh,man.I was in stitches!(噢!我都笑破肚皮了。)
If something is just a little funny,you don't use this phrase.You can say something else,like:
当某事只是有一点儿好笑时不能使用这句话,你可以用其他方式表达,比如:
It was funny.它很有趣。
I got a good laugh out of it.它让我开怀大笑。
The word "stitches" comes from a medical treat-ment.When someone gets a large cut,a doctor will sew the wound to keep it closed.Sewing together a wound is known as"giving (someone) stitches".It's a little hard to connect"stitches" to laughing,but you can imagine laughing so hard that your stomach starts to hurt as if you had stitches in it.
“stitches” 这个词来自医疗术语。当病人有大切口时,医生会缝合伤口。将伤口缝合在一起被称为 “giving (someone) stitches”。虽然将 “stit-ches” 与笑声联系起来有点儿困难,但你可以这样联想:笑得如此厉害,以致你的胃开始痛,就好像缝过针一样。
The second expression we will learn is 我们要学习的第2个表达是
the show节目、 表演
A "show" can mean a lot of things:
一场 “演出” 可能有很多种含义:
a television show 一个电视节目
a musical performance一场音乐表演
a play 一场比赛
a comedy performance一场喜剧表演
You can use "show" like this:
你可以像这样使用 “show” 这个单词:
Hey,are you coming to my show?嘿,你会来看我的演出吗?
We're going out to see a show tonight.我们打算今晚去看一场演出。
It was a good show!这场演出很棒!
What are you doing after the show?演出结束后你打算做什么?